Reality Therapy: Helping Clients to Focus on Solving Problem*
Reality therapy is a therapeutic approach that focuses on problem-solving and making better choices in order to achieve specific goals. Developed by Dr. William Glasser, reality therapy is focused on the here and now rather than the past. The primary goal of reality therapy is to help clients find better ways to fulfill their needs. The counselor teaches the client how to evaluate their behavior, make plans for change, and set goals for themselves. The benefits of Reality Therapy is to improve problem-solving skills, greater self-awareness, increased personal responsibility for the choices one makes in life, and a sense of empowerment. Reality or Choice Therapy is a counseling framework developed on the concept that humans have a choice about their behavior and can be integral in the choices they make. As a counselor, a critical part of our journey with our clients in assisting them with exploring and discovering ways to identify and discover behaviors that will enhance their quality of life. Come learn about the history of Reality therapy, and identify concrete ways to infuse Reality Therapy within your clinical practice.
- Discuss the historical tenets and key theorists for reality therapy.
- Analyze and apply client problems within a reality approach.
- Explain the role of a client and counselor within a reality approach.
- Identify the process of counseling within a reality approach.
- Describe 3-4 techniques within reality therapy.
- Explain multicultural considerations within reality.
- Lectures 2
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 2 hours
- Skill level Beginner to intermediate
- Language English
- Students 1000
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Self