Sex Addiction: Assessment & Treatment*
This course will focus on the basics of screening, assessment, and the fundamentals of treating sex addiction. Starting with various ways to open up the therapeutic engagement to effectively discussing sexual issues, to outlining the various screening questions, tests and techniques which are available, to then the diagnostic criteria, and ending with guidelines for successful treatment guidance and referral options. Ideal for all clinicians who understand the prevalence of sex addiction in our substance abuse and mental health populations, but are unsure or uncomfortable with the ways to engage and effectively intervene with sex addiction in their clinical setting.
- Identify the spectrum of healthy verses unhealthy sexual patterns of behavior.
- Develop various clinical avenues to open up an exploration of our client’s sexual history and practices…without creating transference/counter-transference issues or other complications.
- Discuss the assessment tools and clinical diagnostic criteria for sex addiction.
- Explain the differences and similarities of sex with other addictions, and assessing for comorbidity.
- Explain how to treat sex addiction, understanding the various treatment options, and knowing when and/how to effectively refer, when appropriate.
Target Audience: Psychologists, Social Workers, Addiction Counselors, & Licensed Professional Counselors
- Lectures 2
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 2 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 13
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Self