This is training for professionals who have the specific credentials and experience identified in 49 CFR Part 40.281 in working with substance-using/abusing individuals regulated by the US Department of Transportation rules. This training takes the professional through the historical view of the US -DOT regulation 49CFR Part 40 for Transportation Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing Program. It will review the various changes and enhancements that have become part of the professional’s required knowledge. In addition to a specific focus on the 49CFR Part 40 Subpart O, attendees will see how the DOT Agencies handle and address, differently the identification and testing for these regulated individuals.
This training is designed to educate attendees in the nine (9) subject matter areas required in 40.281. Training will be conducted over 7 2-hour sessions. Attendees learn this is not clinical training on how to conduct evaluation but more specifically how to apply your clinical skills and judgment in addressing issues around alcohol and drug use and/or abuse as identified by a DOT violation with the regulated individual. This training not only prepares qualified clinicians to take on the additional role of DOT qualified Substance Abuse Professional but will specifically prepare clinicians to understand the different roles of DOT SAP from everyday clinical work. Attendees will understand the different requirements for each of the six (6) Agencies in the context of the 49 CFR Part 40 requirements.
- Identify the differences between DOT SAP duties and treating clinician roles.
- Be able to discuss the different D0T agency requirements for the SAP return-to-duty process.
- Understand and list US DOT drug and alcohol violations and consequences
- Be able to identify which DOT Agencies do not allow SAP to return to duty on their own.
- Be able to explain DOT acceptable of resources options to address a client’s violation of education.
- Discuss the differences in DOT agency regulation and each agency’s return to duty requirements.
- Overview of the DOT SAP Process What is it? How does it work, who does it apply to and what role does the DOT SAP have to perform. Understanding the larger DOT program
- 49 CFR Part 40 The Backbone of the DOT program Part 1 Explanation of the different parts of Part 40 including the players, the terminology, acceptance testing, the roles of those that make it happen., Laboratories, local clinics, urine specimens collections for drug testing. The Medical Review Officer Problems in drug testing
- 49 CFR Part 40 The Backbone Continued Part 2 What is the Third-Party Administrator and what is their role, Alcohol Testing, and its reporting differences. Breath Alcohol Technicians, Screening Test Technicians. Who reports Alcohol tests & to whom? What are the differences and problems in alcohol testing vs. drug testing?
- Subpart O – Substance Abuse Professional -Beginning Process Beyond the generalities, the education is about the specifics of what the DOT SAP is expected to perform. What is different in DOT SAP evaluations from any other clinical evaluation you perform. Prepare for client sessions. What do you need from the employer? What can and cannot be shared by DOT SAP, referring clients for assistance. Do you share completion initial evaluation, objective screening instrument requirements for reporting? Referral to education or treatment services
- Subpart O – Substance Abuse Professional -Completion Process Step two in the process following referral to education or treatment. Contact with referral sources. What is acceptable education or treatment? Communication What does the second evaluation include and how does it conclude. What goes into the report? Successful/unsuccessful. What and how does it get reported What testing schedule???
- DOT Agency Differences DOT SAP reporting and problems in completing process All DOT SAP efforts conclude with a specific written letter by SAP. Some cases do not conclude successfully but still require reporting. What can go wrong, what are your options what if the employee has no current DOT employer? When and who must do testing of the client who successfully completes the DOT SAP process How do you close a case
- Federal DOT vs State Requirements SAP Problems – SAP Exams. Understanding USDOT is a federal program but each DOT Agency has a different authority, States have their own authority requiring compliance, Employers, insurance agents, reporting problems, NEW FMCSA Clearinghouse Registration, strict reporting requirements. Letters still go to Employers of Clearinghouse violations.
- Lectures 7
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 14 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 75
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Yes
- DOT SAP QUALIFICATION TRAINING SESSION ONE
- Protected: DOT SAP QUALIFICATION TRAINING SESSION TWO
- DOT SAP QUALIFICATION TRAINING SESSION THREE
- DOT SAP QUALIFICATION TRAINING SESSION FOUR
- DOT SAP QUALIFICATION TRAINING SESSION FIVE
- DOT SAP QUALIFICATION TRAINING SESSION SIX
- DOT SAP QUALIFICATION TRAINING SESSION SEVEN