Resistance and denial are serious problems when attempting to assist clients with their self-defeating patterns of behaviors. This workshop will present an overview of a comprehensive clinical system for managing resistance and denial that assists clients to develop intrinsic motivation for treatment and a better quality of life. Participants will be encouraged to identify their own self-sabotaging denial patterns and develop interventions to better manage their self-defeating patterns in order to be more effective working with their clients.
By attending and participating in this workshop participants will be able to deal more effectively with clients exhibiting denial and treatment resistance. Upon completing this workshop participants will be able to understand the philosophy of resistance and denial as well as learning how to effectively intervene and disrupt clients’ self-defeating patterns of behavior.
Participants will also learn the general steps of the Denial Management Interactional Process that is designed to manage denial in here-and-now interactions with clients and how to directly deal with the twelve most common denial patterns used by people with self-defeating patterns of behavior. Finally, this workshop teaches participants how to develop the tools necessary to implement a successful treatment plan for teaching their clients strategic denial self-management skills.
- Develop three new ways to manage resistance as well as 3 new approaches to help people with denial identification and management to improve their quality of life.
- Discuss the five steps of the Denial Management Interactional Process designed to identify and manage denial in here-and-now interactions with clients.
- Identify and manage the twelve most common denial patterns that can sabotage the treatment process and quality of life.
- Implement a treatment plan designed to teach their clients at least three denial self-management tools.
- Practice three or more clinical tools covered in this process including how to make better decisions, conduct an inner dialog process to help manage denial, and a bookmarking process designed to keep clients focused on the immediate goal of treatment.
- Lectures 2
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 2 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 4
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Self