Opioid Crisis: Problems and Solutions*
In recent years, the use and abuse of opioids have reached record highs, negatively impacting the lives of many Americans. While most physicians prescribe medications to make their patients’ lives better, prescribing opioids for pain has led to a national crisis. In this workshop, participants will learn the basics about opioids as a class of drugs, why these substances have become problematic, and some ways this trend can be lessened by using alternative treatments for pain other than these addicting substances.
- Describe the history of opioid use throughout history, including the most recent trend to “overprescribe” these medications.
- List the drugs included in this class of medications.
- Summarize the dangers involved in this class of drugs and ways to avoid these.
- Identity in which patients might benefit from short-term use of opioids and a proper protocol for these folks.
- Formulate less damaging treatment protocols for patients currently using opioids so as to avoid further abuse and/or dependency.
- Lectures 2
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 2 hours
- Skill level Beginner to intermediate
- Language English
- Students 3
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Self