Spiritual Recovery: Rediscovering your Higher Power*
It has been said that religion produces both the greatest sources of destruction and the greatest resources for good in our world. And for some of us, and our clients, this collective battle takes on a much more personal nature. The Twelve Step movement recognized the need for a Higher Power many decades ago, but still remains somewhat hesitant and inhibited in properly addressing this issue with the appropriate degree of depth. This webinar is designed for general clinicians of any spiritual tradition (or none) and can serve as a guide to help clinicians recognize, unpack, and heal from unhelpful spiritual messaging and perspectives. At first, we will look at the clinical boundaries and guidelines that are necessary in order to be respectful, yet effective, with this process. Next, we will outline the common understandings across spiritual traditions that can underpin and support a healthy spiritual (re)orientation. And finally, we will consider such concepts as self/other forgiveness, spiritual practices and suggestions for helping and healing, and the universality of love and connection as necessary ingredients in our healing work.
- Gain an understanding of the historically-mixed relationship between psychology and spirituality.
- Establish boundaries and guidelines in addressing spiritual issues in clinical practice.
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of spiritual concerns and trauma.
- Develop an ethical perspective that meets our personal and professional needs.
- Construct a checklist to ensure a sound, practical, ethical model for clinical application.
- Lectures 2
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 2 hours
- Skill level Beginner to intermediate
- Language English
- Students 8
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Yes