Sunday, March 3rd from 3-5 PM EST
This is a four-day session series. You will register only once to attend the entire training
This course is designed to help those seeking advanced certification in addiction counseling the opportunity to gain an overview of study areas in preparation for the AADC/MAC exam. An overview of study areas and practice questions will be explored by Dr. Patterson during this 8-hour course.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify areas of study to focus on to meet their individual study needs
- Practice strategies that will aid in less stressful test-taking
- Verbalize an understanding of competencies required for an advanced addiction counselor
- Apply knowledge gained to the testing process
- Utilize course materials in preparing for the exam
Session One-Sunday, March 3rd from 3:00-5:00 PM EST
Course Overview: During this session, an overview and review of transdisciplinary foundations and eight domains of addiction counseling will be provided, as well as exam prep materials that are available. Overcoming test anxiety and strategies for test-taking will be explored. Time will be spent discussing some practice questions.
- Discuss the 8 domains and transdisciplinary foundations of addiction counseling
- Access exam prep study materials
- Practice techniques to reduce text anxiety
- Utilize test-taking strategies
- Demonstrate knowledge through discussion of sample test questions
Session Two-Tuesday, March 5th from 12:30-2:30 PM EST
Course Overview: This session will include information regarding tasks of screening and assessment and review of substance use disorder diagnoses in the DSM 5-TR. Discussion will include client engagement, review of Motivational Interviewing principles, treatment planning and ASAM domains, and level of care recommendations.
- Verbalize the purpose of screening and assessment and tasks involved in this domain
- Determine accurate clinical diagnoses of substance use disorders
- Discuss ASAM criteria dimensions and level of care placement
- Describe steps in writing an effective treatment plan
- Discuss sample exam questions
Session Three-Thursday, March 7th from 12:30-2:30 PM EST
Course Overview: This session provides an overview of the counseling and client/family/community education domain. It will also give high points of pharmacology to give direction in areas of study. Medication-assisted treatment and test questions will also be included in this session.
- Name at least 3 counseling modalities that are effective in addiction counseling
- Define areas of education needed for clients and their families
- Understand pharmacology as it relates to substance use disorders
- Define the characteristics and effects of the classifications of psychoactive substances
- Discuss medication used in treating substance use disorders
- Demonstrate test-taking skills by discussing sample test questions
Session Four-Saturday, March 9th from 12:30-2:30 PM EST
Course Overview: This session will focus on professional ethics and the NAADAC code of ethics. In addition, supervision principles will be discussed as a discussion of ethical dilemmas.
- Identify the ethical principles in addiction counseling
- Practice the standards of professional responsibility
- Understand supervision principles and the importance of clinical supervision
- Discuss how to make ethical decisions in difficult situations
- Demonstrate test-taking skills through discussion of sample test questions.
Dr. Frances Patterson, LADAC, MAC, BCPC, CCJAS, QSAP, QCS
Dr. Frances Patterson received her Bachelor of Science and Master of Science at Virginia Commonwealth University in the Alcohol and Drug Education Rehabilitation Program and a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology at California Southern University. In addition to being a level 2 licensed alcohol and drug abuse counselor in TN, she is a National Association of Addiction Professionals (NAADAC) certified Master addiction counselor and Qualified Substance Abuse Professional. She also holds a certification as a Doctoral Addictions Counselor with the National Association of Forensic Counselors. She is certified by the State of TN as a Qualified Clinical Supervisor for Alcohol and Drug licensure. She has worked as a counselor and program administrator in treatment programs in Virginia and Tennessee for almost 35 years, providing clinical supervision for 25 of those years. She is the owner of Footprints Consulting Services, LLC in Nashville, TN. Dr. Patterson provides client education, program consultation, professional training, and clinical supervision. In addition, she currently works part-time at the Davidson County Sheriff’s Office where she supervises addiction counselors toward licensure, provides program staff training and assists with program development. Dr. Patterson has conducted professional training locally, statewide and nationally for over 28 years on a variety of topics in addictions, mental health and professional counseling issues. She has extensive experience as a trainer and is skilled in training development. Dr. Patterson is the past chair of NAADAC’s clinical issues committee and a past ethics committee member. She served four years as SE Regional Vice President, is a member of the NAADAC Trainers Academy, and is a trainer for “Trainings by NAADAC.” She received the Middle TN Association of Alcohol and Drug Counselors (MTAADAC) Professional of the Year award in 2004 and the MTAADAC and TAADAC Lifetime Achievement Awards in 2005. Dr. Patterson received the Mel Schulstad award, NAADAC’s national Professional of the Year award in 2006. For several years, Dr. Patterson has published articles in professional magazines and in 2020, completed her book “The Addiction Supervisor’s Toolbox”. In her spare time, she loves to play and have fun with her husband and family. She enjoys her dogs, knitting, traveling, scuba diving, reading, and Scottish Highland Games and fantasy fairs.
States that Accept NBCC Approved Courses:
|District Of Columbia
- Nevada CPC’s and MFT’s accept ASWB-approved training
- North Dakota Board Of Counselor Examiners LAPC and LAPCS accept ASWB approved training
- Rhode Island Board of Mental Health Counselors and Marriage & Family Therapists MHC’s accept ASWB approved training
- Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council LPC and LPCS accept ASWB approved training
- Utah Division of Professional Licensing - CMHC’s accept ASWB approved training
- Washington State Department of Mental Health MHC’s accept ASWB approved training
- Wisconsin Council on Mental Health LPCS accepts ASWB-approved training
States that Accept NAADAC-Approved Courses:
Other Board Approvals:
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP): E Care BHI is recognized by the California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-22-344-0424
- Connecticut Certification Board (CCB Approved): E Care BHI is recognized & approved by the Connecticut Certification Board.
- Georgia Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Certification Board of Georgia as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselors (ADACBGA) #19-12-17-1212.
- Florida Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Florida Certification Board as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselor (FCB) #5387-A.
- Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy & Mental Health Counseling: The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy & Mental Health Counseling accepts courses from ASWB & NBCC-approved providers. E Care Behavioral Health Institute is an ASWB and NBCC-approved provider.
- Minnesota Certification Board accepts CCAPP. E Care is an approved training provider by California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP): E Care BHI is recognized by the California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-22-344-0424
- Oklahoma Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Oklahoma State Board of Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselors as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselors (OBLADC) #20220136.
- Ohio Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Ohio Chemical Dependency Professionals Board as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselor (OCDP)#50-29024
- South Carolina Professional Counselors, Marriage & Family Therapists and Psycho-Educational Specialists licensing board, Provider #462
- The Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage and Family Therapist Board accepts courses from ASWB & NBCC approved providers. E Care Behavioral Health Institute is an ASWB and NBCC approved provider.
- Texas Certification Board (TCB): E Care Behavioral BHI is recognized by the Texas Certification Board. Provider Number 2041-19
- VA Mental Health Employee: E Care BHI VA COMMERCIAL VENDOR # 81-3353387-01