Transference and Countertransference can be challenging topics to address in supervision and left unchecked, they can wreak havoc on the counseling or supervisory relationship. Counselors in training often struggle to understand transference and countertransference and may rely on their supervisors for help with this.
Supervisors may also experience this phenomenon and there is often a need for new or optimal ways to address it. There are many levels to transference and countertransference including client transference, counselor countertransference toward the client, counselor transference toward the supervisor, and supervisor countertransference toward the supervisee.
Understanding these levels and the potential problems that can accompany them can go a long way in preventing problems in both the counseling relationship and the supervisory relationship.
This interactive webinar explores transference and countertransference in the supervisory relationship and offers techniques to address them in order to create better and more productive counseling and supervisory relationships.
- Define transference and countertransference in the counseling and supervisory relationships, and to become more familiar with the many levels of transference and countertransference.
- Recognize when transference or countertransference are occurring in the counseling or supervisor relationship.
- Discuss problems that can arise from transference and countertransference while learning new ways to address them.
- Explain the practical tools that can be used in the session to address transference and countertransference.
Meagan Jones, Ph.D, LCMHC
Dr. Meagan Jones has worked in a teaching capacity for over 5 years, and has taught in both online and in person formats. She is currently an Adjunct professor at the Chicago School of Professional Psychology in the online Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program. She has been practicing for over 11 years, and has worked in a variety of settings from correctional counseling to intensive in-home and community mental health settings to private practice. She currently practices in a private practice setting offering both in person and online mental health services. Dr. Jones obtained her Doctor of Philosophy in Counselor Education and Supervision from Regent University and her Master of Arts in Clinical Counseling from Columbia International University. She is licensed in the state of North Carolina and Virginia. Dr. Jones specializes in the areas of sexual trauma, crisis and trauma, general mental health issues, women’s issues, sexuality, and spirituality counseling. She has been teaching, writing, and presenting on trauma, sex trafficking, sexuality, sexual healing post-trauma, LGBTQ issues, supervision, and professional development for counselors for the past several years. When she is not working she enjoys traveling, cooking, jet skiing, being outside, crafting, and enjoying time with her family.
States that Accept NBCC Approved Courses:
|Delaware||District Of Columbia||Florida||Georgia||Hawaii||Idaho||Indiana|
|Iowa||Maine||Maryland||Missouri||New Hampshire||New Jersey||New Mexico|
|Ohio||Oregon||Pennsylvania||Rhode Island||South Carolina||South Dakota||Tennessee|
- Nevada CPC’s and MFT’s accept ASWB-approved training
- North Dakota Board Of Counselor Examiners LAPC and LAPCS accept ASWB approved training
- Rhode Island Board of Mental Health Counselors and Marriage & Family Therapists MHC’s accept ASWB approved training
- Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council LPC and LPCS accept ASWB approved training
- Utah Division of Professional Licensing - CMHC’s accept ASWB approved training
- Washington State Department of Mental Health MHC’s accept ASWB approved training
- Wisconsin Council on Mental Health LPCS accepts ASWB-approved training
States that Accept NAADAC-Approved Courses:
|New Jersey||New Mexico||North Carolina||North Dakota||Oregon||Rhode Island||Tennessee|
Other Board Approvals:
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP): E Care BHI is recognized by the California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-22-344-0424
- Connecticut Certification Board (CCB Approved): E Care BHI is recognized & approved by the Connecticut Certification Board.
- Georgia Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Certification Board of Georgia as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselors (ADACBGA) #19-12-17-1212.
- Florida Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Florida Certification Board as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselor (FCB) #5387-A.
- Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy & Mental Health Counseling: The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy & Mental Health Counseling accepts courses from ASWB & NBCC-approved providers. E Care Behavioral Health Institute is an ASWB and NBCC-approved provider.
- Minnesota Certification Board accepts CCAPP. E Care is an approved training provider by California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP): E Care BHI is recognized by the California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-22-344-0424
- Oklahoma Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Oklahoma State Board of Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselors as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselors (OBLADC) #20220136.
- Ohio Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Ohio Chemical Dependency Professionals Board as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselor (OCDP)#50-29024
- South Carolina Professional Counselors, Marriage & Family Therapists and Psycho-Educational Specialists licensing board, Provider #462
- The Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage and Family Therapist Board accepts courses from ASWB & NBCC approved providers. E Care Behavioral Health Institute is an ASWB and NBCC approved provider.
- Texas Certification Board (TCB): E Care Behavioral BHI is recognized by the Texas Certification Board. Provider Number 2041-19
- VA Mental Health Employee: E Care BHI VA COMMERCIAL VENDOR # 81-3353387-01