This session presenter will review the core function of assessment and its importance in the substance use disorder treatment process. The procedures by which a counselor/program identifies and evaluates an individual’s strengths, weaknesses, problems, and needs for the development of a treatment plan. The global criteria are followed: Gather relevant history from a client including but not limited to:
Alcohol and other drug abuse, using appropriate interview techniques; Identify methods and procedures for obtaining corroborative information from significant secondary sources regarding client’s alcohol and other drug abuse and psycho-social history; Identify appropriate assessment tools; Explain to the client the rationale for the use of assessment techniques in order to facilitate understanding; Develop a diagnostic evaluation of the client’s substance abuse and any co-existing conditions based on the results of all assessments in order to provide an integrated approach to treatment planning based on the client’s strengths, weaknesses, and identified problems and needs.
- Identify appropriate bio-psychosocial assessment tools for substance use disorders.
- Explain the proper use of the DSM-5 in making an accurate substance use disorder diagnosis.
- Discuss utilizing the ASAM criteria for appropriate client level of treatment recommendations
- Describe the procedures for completing a professional substance use disorder assessment.
Jenny M. Kirwin, MSW, LCSW, LCAS, CCS completed her BA in Psychology and Human Services; Masters of Social Work Degree with a concentration in Alcohol and Drugs from the University of Buffalo, NY. She is also a Licensed Clinical Social Worker; Licensed Clinical Addictions Specialist; and Certified Clinical Supervisor in NC. Jenny has been working as a consultant and clinical supervisor with almost 20 years in the field of mental health and substance abuse specializing in Co-Occurring Disorders. She began her career in North Carolina with the local Area Authority in Mental Health. Transitioning to the Women’s Program as a lead worker. Substance abuse quickly became her focus while obtaining LCAS and CCS with NCSAPPB. From Private Practice to DWI Programs, her background brings diverse experience to her clinical supervision services. Jenny has been married for 19 years and has 4 children, 2 dogs, 8 chickens, and a goldfish. She enjoys being outdoors with her family as well as homesteading and staying physically active.
States that Accept NBCC Approved Courses:
|Delaware||District Of Columbia||Florida||Georgia||Hawaii||Idaho||Indiana|
|Iowa||Maine||Maryland||Missouri||New Hampshire||New Jersey||New Mexico|
|Ohio||Oregon||Pennsylvania||Rhode Island||South Carolina||South Dakota||Tennessee|
- Nevada CPC’s and MFT’s accept ASWB-approved training
- North Dakota Board Of Counselor Examiners LAPC and LAPCS accept ASWB approved training
- Rhode Island Board of Mental Health Counselors and Marriage & Family Therapists MHC’s accept ASWB approved training
- Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council LPC and LPCS accept ASWB approved training
- Utah Division of Professional Licensing - CMHC’s accept ASWB approved training
- Washington State Department of Mental Health MHC’s accept ASWB approved training
- Wisconsin Council on Mental Health LPCS accepts ASWB-approved training
States that Accept NAADAC-Approved Courses:
|New Jersey||New Mexico||North Carolina||North Dakota||Oregon||Rhode Island||Tennessee|
Other Board Approvals:
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP): E Care BHI is recognized by the California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-22-344-0424
- Connecticut Certification Board (CCB Approved): E Care BHI is recognized & approved by the Connecticut Certification Board.
- Georgia Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Certification Board of Georgia as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselors (ADACBGA) #19-12-17-1212.
- Florida Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Florida Certification Board as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselor (FCB) #5387-A.
- Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy & Mental Health Counseling: The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy & Mental Health Counseling accepts courses from ASWB & NBCC-approved providers. E Care Behavioral Health Institute is an ASWB and NBCC-approved provider.
- Minnesota Certification Board accepts CCAPP. E Care is an approved training provider by California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP): E Care BHI is recognized by the California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-22-344-0424
- Oklahoma Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Oklahoma State Board of Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselors as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselors (OBLADC) #20220136.
- Ohio Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Ohio Chemical Dependency Professionals Board as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselor (OCDP)#50-29024
- South Carolina Professional Counselors, Marriage & Family Therapists and Psycho-Educational Specialists licensing board, Provider #462
- The Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage and Family Therapist Board accepts courses from ASWB & NBCC approved providers. E Care Behavioral Health Institute is an ASWB and NBCC approved provider.
- Texas Certification Board (TCB): E Care Behavioral BHI is recognized by the Texas Certification Board. Provider Number 2041-19
- VA Mental Health Employee: E Care BHI VA COMMERCIAL VENDOR # 81-3353387-01