This introductory course is designed to provide information to clinical supervisors to help them understand what it means to be culturally competent. The course also explores things that clinicians can do to become culturally competent.
Several illustrations are shared throughout the training to help students understand the importance of being culturally competent. In addition, this course will discuss the growing concept of “Canceled Culture,” as it relates to Clinical Supervisors and their Supervisees.
Upon completion of this course, participants will understand the importance of developing culturally responsive services in the behavioral health profession.
- Define cultural competence terms within supervision, (broaching, oppression, discrimination, parallel process, microaggression, privilege, and canceled culture).
- Summarize current literature regarding culture in clinical supervision through webinar discussion.
- Describe clinical supervision models/techniques, and assessments, that infuse diversity to enhance the supervisory relationship.
- Apply cultural clinical supervision models/techniques through three case studies during the webinar.
Dr. Hakeem Lumumba, Ph.D. is an accomplished behavioral health professional with a wealth of experience in clinical practice, administration, teaching, and research. He holds a Doctoral degree in Counseling and Psychology from Wayne State University and a Master of Science degree in Rehabilitation Counseling from Bowling Green State University. Currently, Dr. Lumumba serves as the Director of Behavioral Health at the Franklin Primary Health Center, where he leads the organization's efforts to improve the mental health and well-being of its patients. Prior to this role, he held several leadership positions in the behavioral health field, including serving as an administrator in a substance use disorder program and as the Substance Use Disorder Treatment Service Manager at the Southeast Michigan Community Alliance (SEMCA). In addition to his extensive clinical and administrative experience, Dr. Lumumba is also a seasoned educator, having taught graduate and undergraduate courses at multiple universities for nearly three decades. He currently serves as an instructor at the University of Phoenix and Siena Heights University, where he shares his expertise with the next generation of behavioral health professionals. Dr. Lumumba's contributions to the field of behavioral health extend beyond his clinical practice and teaching. He is a member of the American Counseling Association and Chi Sigma Iota, and he has presented papers at local, state, and national conferences. He has also published several papers in referred professional journals, demonstrating his commitment to advancing the field through research and scholarship. Dr. Lumumba is licensed and certified in several areas of behavioral health, including as a Michigan Licensed Professional Counselor, Michigan Certified Clinical Supervisor, Michigan Certified Advanced Addictions Counselor, National Certified Counselor, Michigan Licensed Master Social Worker, Internationally Certified Advanced Alcohol & Drug Counselor, Master Addiction Counselor, and an Approved Clinical Supervisor.
States that Accept NBCC Approved Courses:
|Delaware||District Of Columbia||Florida||Georgia||Hawaii||Idaho||Indiana|
|Iowa||Maine||Maryland||Missouri||New Hampshire||New Jersey||New Mexico|
|Ohio||Oregon||Pennsylvania||Rhode Island||South Carolina||South Dakota||Tennessee|
- Nevada CPC’s and MFT’s accept ASWB-approved training
- North Dakota Board Of Counselor Examiners LAPC and LAPCS accept ASWB approved training
- Rhode Island Board of Mental Health Counselors and Marriage & Family Therapists MHC’s accept ASWB approved training
- Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council LPC and LPCS accept ASWB approved training
- Utah Division of Professional Licensing - CMHC’s accept ASWB approved training
- Washington State Department of Mental Health MHC’s accept ASWB approved training
- Wisconsin Council on Mental Health LPCS accepts ASWB-approved training
States that Accept NAADAC-Approved Courses:
|New Jersey||New Mexico||North Carolina||North Dakota||Oregon||Rhode Island||Tennessee|
Other Board Approvals:
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP): E Care BHI is recognized by the California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-22-344-0424
- Connecticut Certification Board (CCB Approved): E Care BHI is recognized & approved by the Connecticut Certification Board.
- Georgia Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Certification Board of Georgia as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselors (ADACBGA) #19-12-17-1212.
- Florida Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Florida Certification Board as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselor (FCB) #5387-A.
- Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy & Mental Health Counseling: The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy & Mental Health Counseling accepts courses from ASWB & NBCC-approved providers. E Care Behavioral Health Institute is an ASWB and NBCC-approved provider.
- Minnesota Certification Board accepts CCAPP. E Care is an approved training provider by California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP): E Care BHI is recognized by the California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-22-344-0424
- Oklahoma Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Oklahoma State Board of Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselors as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselors (OBLADC) #20220136.
- Ohio Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Ohio Chemical Dependency Professionals Board as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselor (OCDP)#50-29024
- South Carolina Professional Counselors, Marriage & Family Therapists and Psycho-Educational Specialists licensing board, Provider #462
- The Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage and Family Therapist Board accepts courses from ASWB & NBCC approved providers. E Care Behavioral Health Institute is an ASWB and NBCC approved provider.
- Texas Certification Board (TCB): E Care Behavioral BHI is recognized by the Texas Certification Board. Provider Number 2041-19
- VA Mental Health Employee: E Care BHI VA COMMERCIAL VENDOR # 81-3353387-01