Humans are masters at lying to themselves. At the most basic level, self-deception is fooling ourselves into believing something that is false –or—refusing to believe something that is true. And it’s one of our biggest obstacles to growing and evolving because it’s very hard to change something we can’t admit.
In this presentation, Dr. Cortney Warren will provide an overview of the psychology behind self-deception. More specifically, it will review how people lie to themselves from some of the major theoretical orientations in psychology, including psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioral, existential, and multicultural.
It will then explore why people lie to themselves and how it’s harmful to personal growth, interpersonal relationships, and society at large. Finally, we will delve into how to can work with clients who are stuck in self-deceptive beliefs using cognitive interventions to challenge them.
● Describe at least three common ways people lie to themselves.
● Identify some of the primary costs of self-deception to individuals, their relationships, and society at large.
● Utilize cognitive strategies to help clients confront their self-deceptive tendencies in a therapeutic context.
Dr. Cortney Warren
Dr. Cortney S. Warren is a board-certified clinical psychologist and former tenured associate professor of psychology at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). She earned her bachelor’s degree from Macalester College in 2000 and her Ph.D. in clinical psychology from Texas University in 2006 after completing her clinical internship at McLean Hospital/Harvard Medical School. Dr. Warren is an expert on addictions, self-deception, eating pathology, and the practice of psychotherapy from a cross-cultural perspective. With almost 50 peer-reviewed journal articles, 7 book chapters, two books, and 75 professional presentations, Dr. Warren’s work appears in some of the field & top journals. She has won some of the most prestigious awards in her field. In addition to publishing in scientific, peer-reviewed journals, Dr. Warren is passionate about bringing theoretically grounded, empirically supported psychological research to the general public. Consequently, Dr. Warren works as a research consultant, keynote speaker, and writes a blog for Psychology Today. In her TEDx talk Honest Liars, and the associated book, Lies We Tell Ourselves: The Psychology of Self-Deception, Dr. Warren describes her view that self-deception is our biggest obstacle to life fulfillment. In 2023, she published a self-help book on love addiction and breakups called Letting Go of Your Ex. TEDx Talk: Honest Liars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpEeSa6zBTE&t=2s
States that Accept NBCC Approved Courses:
|District Of Columbia
- Nevada CPC’s and MFT’s accept ASWB-approved training
- North Dakota Board Of Counselor Examiners LAPC and LAPCS accept ASWB approved training
- Rhode Island Board of Mental Health Counselors and Marriage & Family Therapists MHC’s accept ASWB approved training
- Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council LPC and LPCS accept ASWB approved training
- Utah Division of Professional Licensing - CMHC’s accept ASWB approved training
- Washington State Department of Mental Health MHC’s accept ASWB approved training
- Wisconsin Council on Mental Health LPCS accepts ASWB-approved training
States that Accept NAADAC-Approved Courses:
Other Board Approvals:
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP): E Care BHI is recognized by the California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-22-344-0424
- Connecticut Certification Board (CCB Approved): E Care BHI is recognized & approved by the Connecticut Certification Board.
- Georgia Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Certification Board of Georgia as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselors (ADACBGA) #19-12-17-1212.
- Florida Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Florida Certification Board as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselor (FCB) #5387-A.
- Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy & Mental Health Counseling: The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy & Mental Health Counseling accepts courses from ASWB & NBCC-approved providers. E Care Behavioral Health Institute is an ASWB and NBCC-approved provider.
- Minnesota Certification Board accepts CCAPP. E Care is an approved training provider by California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP): E Care BHI is recognized by the California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-22-344-0424
- Oklahoma Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Oklahoma State Board of Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselors as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselors (OBLADC) #20220136.
- Ohio Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Ohio Chemical Dependency Professionals Board as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselor (OCDP)#50-29024
- South Carolina Professional Counselors, Marriage & Family Therapists and Psycho-Educational Specialists licensing board, Provider #462
- The Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage and Family Therapist Board accepts courses from ASWB & NBCC approved providers. E Care Behavioral Health Institute is an ASWB and NBCC approved provider.
- Texas Certification Board (TCB): E Care Behavioral BHI is recognized by the Texas Certification Board. Provider Number 2041-19
- VA Mental Health Employee: E Care BHI VA COMMERCIAL VENDOR # 81-3353387-01