This continuing education workshop will focus on the Binge Eating Disorder definition, assessment, treatment, coexisting disorders, the impact of it being an addition to the DSM-5, and any therapy-related issues that may arise that can be challenging for both patients as well as clinician/treatment team to face and overcome. Placing Binge Eating Disorder (BED) in the latest edition of the DSM has generated a significant shift in the mental health world, specifically those that specialize in eating disorders and other addiction-focused treatment settings.
This workshop will allow us to explore BED in more detail and provide insight on how to shift our treatment focus and our attitudes beyond thinking of eating issues as a simplistic lack of willpower and shift awareness towards it is the most common eating disorder, yet the most treatable eating disorder as well. Persons deemed appropriate to attend this workshop might include addictions counselors, pastoral counselors, wellness and/or life coaches, psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, family physicians, pediatricians, teachers, athletic trainers and/or coaches, and any related treatment professional that might be specializing in the general clinical, child-adult, school, as well as sport/performance settings.
- Identify the features of BED and explore more about the importance of recognizing it as a mental health diagnosis when prior to 2013 the DSM criteria placed it in the EDNOS category.
- Recognize the common co-existing disorders that tend to present before, during, and after diagnosis of BED and BED treatment.
- Show the most common situations and conversations related to BED throughout the treatment process.
- Explain how BED is rooted in shame and guilt and explore how BED differs from other addictions.
- Recognize treatment options, barriers to treatment, relapse prevention, etc.
- Explore the impact of society, social media, self-esteem, and past traumatic experiences that play a role in BED development.
Jennifer Burgin, LCSW, LCAS
Jennifer Burgin, LCSW, LCAS, CEDS, CIEC, is a highly trained and specialized clinician with a passion for helping individuals struggling with eating disorders and addiction. She holds multiple certifications and licensures in her field, including being a Certified Eating Disorder Specialist and a Certified Intuitive Eating Counselor. Jennifer's commitment to the field of social work began at the University of North Carolina Wilmington, where she completed honors work in eating disorder research as part of her Bachelor's Degree in Social Work. She then earned her Master's in Social Work degree and a graduate certificate in Substance Abuse Counseling from East Carolina University in Greenville, North Carolina. With over a decade of experience in the field, Jennifer has worked in various treatment centers and developed her own specialized private practice in 2017. She also provides telehealth services and holds licenses in 10 states to ensure that individuals in rural areas have access to care.
States that Accept NBCC Approved Courses:
|Delaware||District Of Columbia||Florida||Georgia||Hawaii||Idaho||Indiana|
|Iowa||Maine||Maryland||Missouri||New Hampshire||New Jersey||New Mexico|
|Ohio||Oregon||Pennsylvania||Rhode Island||South Carolina||South Dakota||Tennessee|
- Nevada CPC’s and MFT’s accept ASWB-approved training
- North Dakota Board Of Counselor Examiners LAPC and LAPCS accept ASWB approved training
- Rhode Island Board of Mental Health Counselors and Marriage & Family Therapists MHC’s accept ASWB approved training
- Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council LPC and LPCS accept ASWB approved training
- Utah Division of Professional Licensing - CMHC’s accept ASWB approved training
- Washington State Department of Mental Health MHC’s accept ASWB approved training
- Wisconsin Council on Mental Health LPCS accepts ASWB-approved training
States that Accept NAADAC-Approved Courses:
|New Jersey||New Mexico||North Carolina||North Dakota||Oregon||Rhode Island||Tennessee|
Other Board Approvals:
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP): E Care BHI is recognized by the California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-22-344-0424
- Connecticut Certification Board (CCB Approved): E Care BHI is recognized & approved by the Connecticut Certification Board.
- Georgia Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Certification Board of Georgia as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselors (ADACBGA) #19-12-17-1212.
- Florida Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Florida Certification Board as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselor (FCB) #5387-A.
- Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy & Mental Health Counseling: The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy & Mental Health Counseling accepts courses from ASWB & NBCC-approved providers. E Care Behavioral Health Institute is an ASWB and NBCC-approved provider.
- Minnesota Certification Board accepts CCAPP. E Care is an approved training provider by California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP): E Care BHI is recognized by the California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-22-344-0424
- Oklahoma Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Oklahoma State Board of Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselors as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselors (OBLADC) #20220136.
- Ohio Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Ohio Chemical Dependency Professionals Board as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselor (OCDP)#50-29024
- South Carolina Professional Counselors, Marriage & Family Therapists and Psycho-Educational Specialists licensing board, Provider #462
- The Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage and Family Therapist Board accepts courses from ASWB & NBCC approved providers. E Care Behavioral Health Institute is an ASWB and NBCC approved provider.
- Texas Certification Board (TCB): E Care Behavioral BHI is recognized by the Texas Certification Board. Provider Number 2041-19
- VA Mental Health Employee: E Care BHI VA COMMERCIAL VENDOR # 81-3353387-01