Monday, December 4th
1:00 PM EST – 4:15 PM EST
This training qualifies as an ethics course
Which law shall I follow and how do I decide? The answers are finally here!
The differences in state laws, ethical codes, and practice guidelines can at times become difficult to navigate and understand when determining which direction to take with cross-state counseling.
In this presentation, Joni Gilbertson, MA, NCC, LMHC, CTMH will answer many of your questions with easy-to-understand best practices that will help you make ethical and legal choices that address the risks when using telemental health for cross state counseling. Also, guidance is given on finding and navigating the ethics, laws, and practice guidelines across 50 states for numerous mental health professions.
You will leave with useful resources and insight on how to work through common dilemmas and establish a process for managing the legal and ethical risks as you decide to meet you client’s clinical needs through the option of cross state counseling.
- Apply best practices when using telemental health for cross state counseling.
- Analyze the differences in state laws to legally practice cross-state counseling.
- Evaluate common counseling scenarios to implement best practices.
- Explain how to locate laws for all 50 states on cross-state counseling and develop the ability to apply them to clinical practice.
- Define legal and ethical terms for a greater understanding of the laws and for clinical application.
Joni Gilbertson, MA, NCC LMHC, BCTMH, CTMH
Joni Gilbertson, MA, NCC LMHC, BCTMH, CTMH is a Certified Clinical Telemental Health Provider, Board-certified Telemental Health Provider, Licensed Mental Health Counselor, and the originator of the 2-day Telemental Health Certification. Joni is also the author of the book Telemental Health, An Essential Guide for Providing Successful Online Therapy. She designed and instructed seventeen mental health and legal issues classes for the Sociology department at Illinois Central College, where she was presented with the award for “Teachers who make a difference” due to her engaging and dynamic style of teaching. Joni has a diverse background working with the criminal population for over twenty-five years, and twenty plus years’ experience providing adult, individual, couple, and family therapy through her private practice as well as in the prison system and in schools. As Chief of Probation, she was responsible for designing and training staff members on topics such as law and ethics, suicide awareness, personality disorders, substance use disorders, motivational interviewing, and safety strategies. Joni also has experience supervising mental health staff within a hospital setting and interns within her private practice. Joni regularly uses telemental health counseling to work with many populations and finds it clinically beneficial for her client’s welfare. She started one of the first telehealth programs for court-ordered clients and has over fifteen years of experience using video sessions with clients. It has been said by participants of her seminars that she makes learning an enjoyable experience with her passion for the use of technology in mental health.
States that Accept NBCC Approved Courses:
|Delaware||District Of Columbia||Florida||Georgia||Hawaii||Idaho||Indiana|
|Iowa||Maine||Maryland||Missouri||New Hampshire||New Jersey||New Mexico|
|Ohio||Oregon||Pennsylvania||Rhode Island||South Carolina||South Dakota||Tennessee|
- Nevada CPC’s and MFT’s accept ASWB-approved training
- North Dakota Board Of Counselor Examiners LAPC and LAPCS accept ASWB approved training
- Rhode Island Board of Mental Health Counselors and Marriage & Family Therapists MHC’s accept ASWB approved training
- Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council LPC and LPCS accept ASWB approved training
- Utah Division of Professional Licensing - CMHC’s accept ASWB approved training
- Washington State Department of Mental Health MHC’s accept ASWB approved training
- Wisconsin Council on Mental Health LPCS accepts ASWB-approved training
States that Accept NAADAC-Approved Courses:
|New Jersey||New Mexico||North Carolina||North Dakota||Oregon||Rhode Island||Tennessee|
Other Board Approvals:
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP): E Care BHI is recognized by the California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-22-344-0424
- Connecticut Certification Board (CCB Approved): E Care BHI is recognized & approved by the Connecticut Certification Board.
- Georgia Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Certification Board of Georgia as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselors (ADACBGA) #19-12-17-1212.
- Florida Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Florida Certification Board as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselor (FCB) #5387-A.
- Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy & Mental Health Counseling: The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy & Mental Health Counseling accepts courses from ASWB & NBCC-approved providers. E Care Behavioral Health Institute is an ASWB and NBCC-approved provider.
- Minnesota Certification Board accepts CCAPP. E Care is an approved training provider by California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP): E Care BHI is recognized by the California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-22-344-0424
- Oklahoma Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Oklahoma State Board of Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselors as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselors (OBLADC) #20220136.
- Ohio Addiction Counselor: E Care BHI is recognized by the Ohio Chemical Dependency Professionals Board as an approved education provider for Addiction Counselor (OCDP)#50-29024
- South Carolina Professional Counselors, Marriage & Family Therapists and Psycho-Educational Specialists licensing board, Provider #462
- The Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage and Family Therapist Board accepts courses from ASWB & NBCC approved providers. E Care Behavioral Health Institute is an ASWB and NBCC approved provider.
- Texas Certification Board (TCB): E Care Behavioral BHI is recognized by the Texas Certification Board. Provider Number 2041-19
- VA Mental Health Employee: E Care BHI VA COMMERCIAL VENDOR # 81-3353387-01